RE: Geotechnical in Canada

	Concrete International had a similar article in the September 2010 issue.
I'll bet AISC has one in a back issue of Modern Steel Construction, too.

-----Original Message-----
From: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com [mailto:seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com] On
Behalf Of Polhemus, William Sent: Thursday, February 06, 2014 1:54 PM
To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
Subject: RE: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] Geotechnical in Canada

This might be of some interest:

<http://foundationperformance.org/projects/FPA-SC-04-0.pdf>

Bear in mind the following:

1. This was developed by the Structural Committed of the Foundation
Performance Association, a local Houston ad-hoc group made up of engineers
and contractors involved in design, construction, forensic investigation
and repair of foundations for lightly-loaded structures in the Houston
area, where we deal with moderate to extremely expansive soils. Obviously
lightly-loaded foundations (e.g. residences, single-level warehouse and
commercial buildings) are a concern where expansive soils are a problem.
Therefore, much of the information contained therein is focused on
information needed from the Geotechnical Engineer for those purposes.

2. That said, I have found much of the approach of this Recommended
Practice to be useful in drafting RFPs for geotechnical work generally. I
think while our Geotech cousins certainly bear some responsibility where
unclear or ambiguous report contents are concerned, very often there are

Truncated 2079 characters in the previous message to save energy.