Re: Geotechnical in Canada

Thanks Bill.

The soil/foundation problems were (and probably still) huge problems in the SF Bay area. We had to design foundations that were more expensive that the homes. Many times we had to design drilled piers on hillsides for long term creep. And there were whole subdivisions/neighborhoods where all of the soil was extremely expansive. Once we found a whole hill moving with about 30 houses. The county geotech at the beginning of an enquiry phone call: "We've settled that case".

Some solutions for the expansive or reactive soil can be found in the Australian technical literature. For example, our minimum continuous footing at the perimeter of house will have one bar top and bottom of the footing while the Australian recommendation will be 3 bars top and bottom with some hoops/ties. All of the interior piers would be tied together with a fairly rigid grid while the US will still use individual piers obtained from Home Depot/Lowes. Then one wonders why the roof will leak when one of the individual piers is in expansive soil.

My own house wanders around vertically during the year even though in the last 20 years I've constructed numerous French drains and uphill swales. Actually see improvement but no complete stop to the movement.

Didn't the Texas engineers develop the standard designs for the prestressed slabs on grade? You guys do good things down there.

Neil