Re: design retaining walls for seismic

Fellow engineers,

I'm do not know what your codes say about this but two things come to mind.

1.) The coefficient of friction probably does not change due to seismic activity UNLESS water can be drawn to the sliding surface BY the seismic activity. If water can be drawn to the sliding surface the friction forces would seem to REDUCE.

2.) The vertical component of earth motion would (as I see it anyway) alternatively increase then REDUCE the weight acting on the surface. This would seem to me (logically thinking) to actually REDUCE the available friction force available to resist sliding.

While, as I said above, I do not know what your codes say about this, I would be very reluctant to increase frictional forces where you need them to resist sliding.

Regards,

Daryl