Re: Congratulations to Matthew and Ed

Well if I recall correctly, the euthanized parking garage in Mathew's
article was no historical treasure. And that is where I think some
historical preservationists get it wrong, in that there is a balance, and
economics is a huge part of that. Was a president born there? Well, maybe
we should save that. But that 50 year old unreinforced CMU piece of crap
over there that has no historical significance other than its age? Naahhh,
let's tear that down and build something safe and energy efficient. And by
the way, architects can design things to look older or classic without
needing to be actually old and classic.

I looked at a historical building for a client once and the preservationist
was spending thousands of dollars on hand made handrail balustrades and
other interior details. I pointed out the second story porch framing and
handrails were not only not to code but dangerously under-designed, as she
is telling me when they are done they are going to have parties there and
weddings and such. So maybe sacrifice a little on the historical integrity
of the interior and spend it on the structure so you have a safe building
and you won't get sued??

With all that said, while I was at Florida State, they basically gutted the
structure of several buildings while leaving the exterior 100-year-old
brick walls intact, and then rebuilt the interiors. You get a nice,
flowing, safe, efficient space, laid out exactly how you want it, with new
MEP and insulation, but the exterior is original and it looks great. A lot
of the older buildings on campus, including my freshman dorm, had moisture
and air quality issues on top of all of the other problems. Hard to
band-aid old buildings with that many issues.

Andrew Kester, PE
Florida