-----Original Message-----
From: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com [mailto:seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com] On
Behalf Of Kavsak, Paul M. Sent: Monday, February 17, 2014 1:08 PM
To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
Subject: RE: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] Poll: Software

Nick,

I use MathCAD exclusively for my computations, not because I choose too but
 our customers expect "typed" equations. The pro is that once you have your
 formula set up using alphanumeric variables you can easily change the
variable value and quickly run a re-evaluation. The con is the time it
takes to set up the equations. (There also is the learning curve, MathCAD
provides various help including definitions, explanations and examples
which you can copy, modify and use for your own.

If you have standard type problems to deal with then the best thing to do
would be to set up a library of evaluations/computations, such as a
standard configuration for either weld evaluation (wide flange welded all
around, box section with two sided weld, etc) or bolted connection
evaluation, or whatever you are in need of. Then when a similar evaluation
is needed you can cut and paste and change your variables.

Best regards,

Paul M. Kavsak, P.E.

Truncated 756 characters in the previous message to save energy.