-----Original Message-----
From: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com [mailto:seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com] On
Behalf Of Polhemus, William Sent: Monday, February 17, 2014 11:22 AM
To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
Subject: RE: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] Poll: Software

Used to love Mathcad.

Then Mathsoft sold out to PTC, who turned it into a corporate
network-licensed monstrosity and essentially elbowed single users in the
ribs. One day, I tried to fire up my paid-for program and it told me "my
license had expired."

Contacting the company I discovered I had to pay some amount - on the order
 of $250 a year - just to keep using the software I already had.

I dumped it, and soon after discovered SMath Studio, a "clone." Yeah, not
quite as slick as Mathcad but it does what I need it to do and reads MCAD
files. It's still considered "in Beta," but the developer does seem to
spend time moving it forward.

Best of all, it's free to use, and you can drop a few bucks in the guy's
cookie jar if you like it and want him to continue to develop it. He has
already incorporated several user suggestions including one of mine.

I'd rather have continued using MCAD but I'm not ponying up money for

Truncated 1301 characters in the previous message to save energy.