Re: Soft-worn out

Bill,

Not sure what Affordable Care Act has to do with any of this, other you saw
 it as an opportunity to inject some of your political commentary in order
to rile up some liberals.  And no, that is not a invitation to tell me why
Affordable Care Act is relevant to the issue you raised.

As to your issue with software, personally I still consider it better than
the "push" to pure subscription software (i.e. you stop paying, your
software stops working).  I despise subscription software.

Unless this company has actually gone to some sort of subscription type
approach (i.e. you must continue to "pay to play"), you should still be
able to use the old version with out updating.  Yes, it may not have all
the latest and greatest wiz-bang features and use the most recent codes.
If it is primarily an "analysis" program (but maybe also does design checks
 or even some full design), then it can still be used for analysis.  Even
if it is primarily a "design" program, you likely should be able to
continue to use the old version for at least several years as it usually
takes jurisdictions a while to adopt the latest and greatest codes.

Now, I could not completely decipher what exactly the new policy is that
you don't like.  For each new version, do they make you pay the full price
to go to the new version...AND you still have to pay maintenance fees (or
not)?  Or is it that you have to only pay the full price once and then pay
"maintenance" fees which also get you the new version?  Or something else?

I use RISA-3D (I know you aren't naming names, but potentially the program
you referred to when talking about the DOS program with the bolted on
"Winders" interface...which is still a somewhat accurate description of
RISA-2D/3D).  They use the later method.  As long as I pay the yearly
maintenance fee (in the $500 or range...actual amount depends on if you pay
 for one year or two), I get the upgrades.  And they do a "significant"
upgrade (as opposed to a "bug" upgrade) once a year.  Considering that is
likely about what they would charge for a single "upgrade" under the dying
approach in the software industry of paying for each "significant" upgrade
individually (so-called "upgrade prices" under that approach are usually
somewhere around 1/4 to 1/2 the full price in my experience), I consider it
 reasonable.  Sure I would like it to be less, but then that is the price
of doing business, so to speak.

Regards,

Scott

On Jan 16, 2014, at 5:31 PM, Polhemus, William wrote:

> The "new technology revolution" seems to be taking its toll on mainstream
> software costs. I guess all those cheap apps out there, or something,
> playing on tablets instead of PC workstations. I dunno.
>
> My absolute favorite structural analysis and design product just announce
> they're doing an "Obamacare" and pricing themselves completely out of my
> reach. Since I first bought a license more than 13 years ago, I have been
> a faithful customer, upgrading right along, and paying the modest upgrade
> price.
>
> Now, they've announced "no more upgrading, everyone pays full price - but
> it includes annual maintenance, huzzah!" Essentially, you're paying a big
> bunch up front - let's call it an Obamacare deductible - and that gets
> you the privilege of paying annually for "maintenance." You don't want
> the maintenance? Next time you want to upgrade, you pay full price again.
>
> I'm very bummed. This is among my very most favorite software products
> for what I do for a living, and I have been an avid, avid fan. Now, I've
> got to migrate to a competing product which, to me, is antiquated and
> creaking in the way you interact with it - they just kept the ancient

Truncated 1963 characters in the previous message to save energy.