Re: Texas PE Criminal Background Check Instructions

This conversation makes me grin a little between grimaces... it is sounding
 a lot like many I have heard over and over around my parent's dinner
table.

<http://www.csicop.org/si/show/skeptical_look_at_september_11th/>

Being a skeptic is his hobby, astronomy his full time job and at the time
my father wrote this article he had been working for JPL for over 20 years
(if you are not familiar, JPL is basically a NASA funded laboratory to
study space.  It can be argued that the scientists and engineers that work
there have a far lesser impact or exposure to public safety that structural
 engineers)... a few years later Dept of Homeland Security (ironically,
working for the former governor of Texas) passed a directive that resulted
in all JPL employees requiring more extensive background checks.  I believe
 the check was somewhat intrusive, to the extent of researching high school
 girlfriends, etc. but take that with a grain of salt, my source of
information was biased so I don't really know how intrusive the checks
were.  The issue made some news locally and lawsuits were filed by a group
of scientists and the moral fight was fought, I think the scientists won a
round or two at the local levels but as it moved up the appeals process the
 federal judges and courts found on the side of the federal government.  Do
 search on "JPL background checks", some stuff will come up.  There are
some parallels to this Texas issue we are talking about.

I hope you guys in TX can find a way to halt and reverse the silliness.  We
 are continuing to head in the wrong direction for sure if this takes hold
nationally.  Luckily here in CA I can still have a pocket knife on my key
chain as I sit here wL^2/8-ing and I hope it can stay that way.

Donny Harris, SE
Los Angeles, CA