Re: Earth friction on sonotubes

Daryl, in Anchorage the minimum depth for cold footings that are part of a structure is 60" (bottom of footing). For isolated foundations (light poles, etc.) and cast-in-place concrete piers it is 120" unless it is non-frost susceptible soils where 60" is allowed. I am concerned about frost jacking and am not sure bout the soils, so will have the sonotubes go down deeper, 6 feet or so. The other option is piles (4 to 5" standard pipe) but the owner is worried about the cost.