Re: Below-Ground Vault or Wet-Well for Fire Water Storage

I've done these types of systems and have used both concrete and
poly vaults.  The only thing that we had to do, beyond a typical septic
tank vault, was where the vault might be driven over.  With the
possibility for a truck load on the top of the vault, we had to design
the top and lid of the vault to an HS-20 load standard.

I would also consider the vault's potential for floating up out of the
ground when it gets sucked empty and the soils around it
have a high ground water condition.

HTH,
Lloyd

On 24 Feb 2014 at 21:52, Polhemus, William wrote:

> This is kinda civil-y, but I thought someone here might have some idea
> if there are any governing requirements I need to be aware of.
>
> We've got a fire water system going on that will use water piped in
> via large-diameter conduit from a nearby natural reservoir (a riverine
> lake, to
> be exact). The notion is that water will fill a large underground
> vault or wet-well atop which the pumps for the system will sit.
>
> At the time of actuation, the water would be drawn up from the
> wet-well, and we're sizing the pipe and vault to make sure it doesn't
> suck dry while this is happening.
>
> But what I'm wondering is, are there any requirements for the vault
> itself beyond the usual provisions from say ACI 318 or ACI 350.
> Anything from AWWA, or NFPA, that I would have to make sure I follow
> in designing the vault? Perhaps there are minimum requirements for
> strength or some-such thing similar to what is in ACI 350 - which is
> more properly for SANITARY facilities.

Truncated 362 characters in the previous message to save energy.