-----Original Message-----
From: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com [mailto:seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com] On
Behalf Of Polhemus, William Sent: Monday, February 24, 2014 9:02 PM
To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
Subject: Re: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] Below-Ground Vault or Wet-Well for Fire Water
Storage

I've always found it interesting that "highway loading" is do often
specified for structures like this.

If you've done any bridge design, you realize that the highway truck
 that an occasionally-loaded structure never will see, meant to represent a
 high incidence of overloaded large trucks traveling at highway speeds.

It's convenient to use because everyone thinks "oh, yeah, trucks," but the
HS and HL (used since mid-90s) type loadings are NOTIONAL LOADS and mostly
overkill for small-area and small-instance-of-load situations.

It would be great if someone came up  with a loading alternative for "stuff
 on the ground that things roll over" but I'm not holding my breath.

William L. Polhemus, Jr. P.E.

5

> On Feb 24, 2014, at 5:57 PM, "Lloyd" <lloyd(--nospam--at)advantage-engineers.com>

Truncated 808 characters in the previous message to save energy.