Re: Steel shop drawing

Sir,

If you have a moment frame that has been constructed with no approved shop drawings and if there are no moment connections in the finished and installed structure you may have a major problem.

The way you have written your posting makes the situation a little bit unclear to me. Firstly, are you the structural engineer of record? I'm assuming you are when I write the following. Secondly, when you say "the job almost finishe" do you mean: the structural steel erection is almost finished; or the whole project, including floors, walls, roof, etc., is almost finished?

If it's the structural steel that is almost finished you should meet with the person you have a contract with (probably the architect) and with general contractor and get a written commitment from the general contractor as to what will be done and when it will be done.

If it's the entire project that is almost finished this has gone on much too long. Meet with the person you have a contract with first, to explain the situation (He may want to have the owner or financier involved since money may have been paid for work that was not properly done; but don't you make that decision) then have the meeting I suggested in the last paragraph. If the meetings don't go as well as you would like you may want to notify your insurance company that there is the possibility of a claim; if they are like Canadian insurance companies they will provide you with legal advice on how to proceed.

If you notify the building authorities they will lift the building permit until corrective work is complete. This is the hammer that WILL get things corrected but you should not use it until all other actions have failed. You may have to do this to fulfil your duties to protect the public; however, if you do you will probably be involved in a lawsuit.

Whatever you decide to do make sure that you document everything in writing.

These are just my thoughts based on my reading into what you have written. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Regards,

Daryl