Re: Steel shop drawing

A more basic commentary to this discussion, at least in my experience, is
that the main goal of any shop drawing is for the fabricator/supplier to
communicate with the engineer/architect their interpretation of the
construction drawings. This is also an opportunity to clarify or request
information in regards to the original drawings such as certain dimensions,
welds, bolts, etc. It really is a supplement to the permit CDs, and on
smaller projects may not be required. In my experience, this is
communication between the contractor and the design professional, and the
building department may not even be involved at all in the shop drawing
process, unless those documents were signed and sealed and considered part
of the construction documents (pre-engineered trusses come to mind).

Daryl and Neil have given you lots of good advice, depending on what your
exact role is in all of this. I would be calling the architect and/or owner
and following this up in writing. Getting the building department involved
should be your last resort if you think the contractor is unwilling to make
the corrections and will just cover it up.

Andrew Kester, PE
Florida

On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 4:20 PM, nma <nma(--nospam--at)nma-se.com> wrote:

> Section 4 of the AISC 303 provides some insight to shop and erection
> drawings.  Shop drawings should have come to you for review and approval
> - not the building department.  Because you have some out of the ordinary
> steel details for a residence, there should be some notes on your
> drawings that the shop drawings would be reviewed and approved by you. On
> the other hand, if someone changed your design without your knowledge,
> then this is a problem for the builder and some of the recommended
> procedures by others should be considered.   There should have been a set
> of your drawings on the job site and you would hope that the
> jurisdictions inspector would have at least looked at the drawings and at
> what was being installed and caught it then.  (Very rare).  Remember that
> usually the building department takes no responsibility for whatever they
> approve.
> Neil Moore, PE, SE
>

> On 3/3/2014 12:50 PM, NW27 wrote:
>
>> Daryl
>> the major question why there is no recommendation on the code for shop

Truncated 859 characters in the previous message to save energy.