Re: Retaining wall program

I struggle with the notion of such software not being usable if it's "not
to the new code."

In the first place, CA is typically far behind the rest of the USA where
codes are concerned - a function of over regulation which invariably puts
so much power in the hands of bureaucrats who resist change.

Most design software keeps up pretty well.

Secondly, analysis is in the purview of the engineer. My experience is that
 codes typically say little about HOW to analyze something. They stick to
design provisions. The essence of retaining wall design hasn't much changed
 since Coulomb.

It is easy enough to analyze using the software, and even design, then
check to make sure the design meets whatever (usually slight) changes in
design provisions from older to newer codes.

I do this frequently.

William L. Polhemus, Jr. P.E.

5

> On Mar 8, 2014, at 8:25 AM, "T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E."
> <bill(--nospam--at)ALLENDESIGNS.COM> wrote:
> Has RetainPro been updated to the new code?
>
> This is news to me.
>
> T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA 2607)
> A L L E N   D E S I G N S
> Consulting Structural Engineers
> 33171 Paseo Cerveza, Suite 221
> San Juan Capistrano, CA 92675
> V (949) 248-8588 • C (949) 374-1536
> www.AllenDesigns.com

Truncated 396 characters in the previous message to save energy.