Ties between columns in site class F

I have a project where the soil classification is class F that will require structural ties between the concrete pilasters at the perimeter and the interior footings. The ties have to be designed for both compression and tension. My understanding is that theses ties will require hoops enclosing the longitudinal reinforcing and the longitudinal reinforcing cannot be lapped but requires mechanical connections. Can anyone point out where this is stated in ACI 318-08 or 11?

--
*
Drew Morris, PE*| Project Engineer