Re: [SEAINT-SEAOC] EOR and Special Inspections and contracts

Great questions.  I'll be looking forward to replies.  I think the
discussion will also apply to smaller projects such as residential and
custom residential projects where local building dept. requirements
(minimum requirements) drive an owners desires for a less costly design
which may then clash with a more prudent design from an engineering point
of view.  An example might be a minimum requirement of 1500 psf soil
bearing pressure (from building dept) . The owner assumes that an engineers
requirement for a geotechnical study being done is then extremely excessive
and overly expensive since the building department does not require it.
Where I think very prudent and good "insurance" for all involved.  I just
lost a nice project due to that.

On Mar 19, 2014 8:36 PM, "Ricardo Gonzalez" <ricardog(--nospam--at)cswst2.com> wrote:

> Hello Fellow Engineers,
>
> It has been my practice to avoid performing Special Inspections except for
> those construction administration tasks that can also be categorized as
> Structural Observations.  For instance, I have no issues wearing the
> Special
> Inspection hat for light frame residential construction when I observe
> rebar
> placement, footing excavations, shear wall nailing, etc.  All other
> Special
> Inspection tasks are to be performed by an outside agency.  My problem is
> that I have not clearly state that in my proposals/contracts; something I
> am in the process of updating and correcting.
>
> So that led me to read the "Guide to Special Inspections and Quality
> Assurance"
> prepared by CASE (Council of American Structural Engineers), and found
> some
> interesting things.  Under the Roles and Responsibilities section, the
> Structural Engineer of Record's (SER) "Special Inspections services should

Truncated 1892 characters in the previous message to save energy.