Owner's Inspector Playing Engineer

I had an interesting development on a project I designed some time ago, which
 is now being built.

The steel framing I designed using single-plate shear connections. The typical
 plate thickness was 1/4", though I did have a few 5/16" plates in there.

Found out AFTER it was erected that the owner's inspector, stating he was
"uncomfortable" with the "thin plates," directed the fabricator to make them
 all 3/8" thick.

What's more, he claimed he never saw any framing like this done without DTI
 washers, so he ordered those thrown in there too.

All this without saying a word to me about the changes.

Now, I've done a few slip-critical connections in my time, but never for
something like this.

I haven't had time to go back and look but I suspect what they've done is
basically screw up the ability of these connections to rotate as they were
intended.

QUESTIONS:

1. Just based on the qualitative info here, what detrimental effects might
result from this change?

2. What are the legal and ethical ramifications, if any, of making this
change without consulting the structural engineer of record, from whose
design drawings the shop and erection drawings were made?

3. Given that the S&E drawings were reviewed and approved by the SEoR prior
 to fabrication, and thus that the changes were directed EXCLUSIVE of the
S&E drawing review, again without any notification by the non-engineer
directing the changes, what sorts of recourse could or would you advise, if
any?

W. L. Polhemus, Jr. P.E.

4