From: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com [mailto:seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com] On
Behalf Of Joseph Grill
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 5:55 PM
To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
Subject: Re: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] [SEAINT-SEAOC] EOR and Special Inspections and
contracts

Great questions.  I'll be looking forward to replies.  I think the
discussion will also apply to smaller projects such as residential and
custom residential projects where local building dept. requirements (minimum
 requirements) drive an owners desires for a less costly design which may
then clash with a more prudent design from an engineering point of view.
An example might be a minimum requirement of 1500 psf soil bearing pressure
(from building dept) . The owner assumes that an engineers requirement for
a geotechnical study being done is then extremely excessive and overly
expensive since the building department does not require it.
Where I think very prudent and good "insurance" for all involved.  I just
lost a nice project due to that.

On Mar 19, 2014 8:36 PM, "Ricardo Gonzalez" <ricardog(--nospam--at)cswst2.com> wrote:

> Hello Fellow Engineers,
>
> It has been my practice to avoid performing Special Inspections except
> for those construction administration tasks that can also be
> categorized as Structural Observations.  For instance, I have no
> issues wearing the Special Inspection hat for light frame residential

Truncated 701 characters in the previous message to save energy.