From: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com [mailto:seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com] On
Behalf Of Bill Polhemus
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 7:00 PM
To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
Subject: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] Owner's Inspector Playing Engineer

I had an interesting development on a project I designed some time ago,
which  is now being built.

The steel framing I designed using single-plate shear connections. The
typical  plate thickness was 1/4", though I did have a few 5/16" plates in
there.

Found out AFTER it was erected that the owner's inspector, stating he was
"uncomfortable" with the "thin plates," directed the fabricator to make them
 all 3/8" thick.

What's more, he claimed he never saw any framing like this done without DTI
washers, so he ordered those thrown in there too.

All this without saying a word to me about the changes.

Now, I've done a few slip-critical connections in my time, but never for
something like this.

I haven't had time to go back and look but I suspect what they've done is

Truncated 736 characters in the previous message to save energy.