Re: Owner's Inspector Playing Engineer

Bill,
You've highlighted a common issue  -  your design has been altered without
your review.  Usually, my answer to alterations is: "if its bigger its OK".
 But in your case I think you're saying that bigger may not be OK.

It seems to me that since you have identified a potential structural problem,
 you should alert the construction officials and advise that a licensed
engineer evaluate the changes from your design drawings.

That you're not sure of the effects of the changes from your design is
immaterial.

Keep up the good work,
Irv

On Wednesday, March 19, 2014 10:03 PM, Bill Polhemus <bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc>
wrote:

I had an interesting development on a project I designed some time ago, which

> is now being built.
>
> The steel framing I designed using single-plate shear connections. The
> typical plate thickness was 1/4", though I did have a few 5/16" plates in
> there.
> Found out AFTER it was erected that the owner's inspector, stating he was
> "uncomfortable" with the "thin plates," directed the fabricator to make
> them all 3/8" thick.
>
> What's more, he claimed he never saw any framing like this done without
> DTI washers, so he ordered those thrown in there too.
>
> All this without saying a word to me about the changes.
>
> Now, I've done a few slip-critical connections in my time, but never for
> something like this.
>
> I haven't had time to go back and look but I suspect what they've done is
> basically screw up the ability of these connections to rotate as they were
> intended.

Truncated 688 characters in the previous message to save energy.