RE: EOR and Special Inspections and contracts

	Ricardo,
		Working for a precast concrete manufacturer, I appreciate that third-party
 special inspectors, hired by the owner, are trained and point out things
that aren't quite the way I designed them. However, it is more work for me
as probably over half the time, the paper to clear the issue says, "Leave
as is." Most of the rest of the time, there is a way to use what's there and
 add something else to replace some lost strength. Occasionally, I have to
tell the foreman, "Take it out and do what is shown." I can speed up field
work and spend less time writing future paper by showing options on the
original drawings for common tolerance problems. Some SERs in this area have
 separate corporations with the same ownership which do special inspections.
 Usually, if the SER is on a project, the inspector is. I think the inspectors
 work other projects, too. There are a few big inspections companies, too,
which do all the quality control - soils, foundations, cast-in-place concrete,
 steel (hot-rolled, cold-formed, bar joists, etc.), precast concrete, wood,
 etc. on a project. While I think our own and our subcontract erector
PCI-certified crews are very good, when I hear of few to zero weld or other
 deficiencies on a project, I know the inspector is not doing his job. There
 are just too many possible ways for things not to fit up - some that I could
 not foresee. I also visit my jobsites and some that I did not design or
coordinate with a design consultant. That's more like the observations you
mention. Our foremen will rat on themselves, too, "Jim, we just did...." And
 once every 5 -10 years or so, I'll hear that the inspector told someone to
 do more than was on the drawings - not doing his job another way, as Bill
P. mentioned. So far, I have not had to have any of that ripped out, as
bigger was not structurally detrimental, just wasteful of time and material.
 All this is quite a switch from when I came here, when our Project Managers
 and we engineers were the only inspectors a project had beyond the foreman
 looking at what his men had installed. If you ever have precast concrete
on your projects, PCI is just about to offer a precast concrete special
inspector training program as a series of webinars. My company helped develop
it. HTH, Jim Getaz Precast Concrete Engineer