Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 19:33:29 -0500
From: Ricardo Gonzalez <ricardog(--nospam--at)cswst2.com>
Subject: EOR and Special Inspections and contracts

Hello Fellow Engineers,

It has been my practice to avoid performing Special Inspections except
for
those construction administration tasks that can also be categorized as
Structural Observations. For instance, I have no issues wearing the
Special
Inspection hat for light frame residential construction when I observe
rebar
placement, footing excavations, shear wall nailing, etc. All other
Special
Inspection tasks are to be performed by an outside agency. My problem is
that I have not clearly state that in my proposals/contracts; something I
am in the process of updating and correcting.

So that led me to read the "Guide to Special Inspections and Quality
Assurance"
prepared by CASE (Council of American Structural Engineers), and found
some
interesting things. Under the Roles and Responsibilities section, the
Structural Engineer of Record's (SER) "Special Inspections services
should
generally be performed under a separate contract directly with the
building
Owner." I have never done this. Not only that, but it makes the case for
SER to perform Special Inspections whenever they are able to.
Furthermore,
it stresses that Special Inspectors be hired by the Owner or SER, and not
the contractor. YIKES! These are just a sampling of stuff found in this
document. This is a good read and recommend you taking some time to read
for yourself.

Don't get me wrong. I look forward to going to site visits and observing
work performed. I was under the impression that my site visit should be
done in accordance with Structural Observation requirements. That seems
give me some more leeway.

Anyways, just want to hear from you on your role as the Special
Inspector/Structural
Observer. Do you have separate contracts when you wear the Special
Inspector's
hat? How do you handle assignment of the Special Inspector with Owners?
How does that get conveyed in your contracts?

Cheers,

Ricardo G. Gonzalez, P.E.
C S W | S T 2
CSW/Stuber-Stroeh Engineering Group, Inc.
45 Leveroni Court, Novato, CA 94949
Civil Engineering ? Structural Engineering
Planning ? Land Surveying & Mapping

main: 415-883-9850 fax: 415-883-9836
direct: 415-884-6442 e-mail: RicardoG(--nospam--at)cswst2.com
links: Web Site<http://www.cswst2.com/> ? Blog<http://blog.cswst2.com/>
? LinkedIn<http://cirrus.mail-list.com/seaint-seaosc/88000843.html>
? Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/CSWST2> ?
Twitter<http://www.twitter.com/cswst2>

"This message is intended solely for the recipient identified above and
should not be opened, read, or utilized by any other party. This message
shall not be construed as official project information or direction
except
as expressly provided in the contract documents"