Re: Owner's Inspector Playing Engineer

I would share your concern with the negative impact of the slip critical
connections. I believe that this would restrict the rotational ductility
that the shear connection tables are all based upon, sort of like welding
the plate after bolting it. I don't think in this case the thickness of the
plates increasing would effect anything.

I would also be in contact with the building department, owner, architect,
etc. about the inspector making EOR decisions. It also may be something
that you should report if this person was a non-engineer making engineering
decisions, essentially practicing engineering without a license. This
person may be doing this all the time.

Good luck with what at the least will be some difficult conversations.