Re: Structural Steel Design Code - Canada

Bill,
One of the differences between CSA S16 and AISC spec is that Limit States Design (your LRFD) is mandatory whereas the AISC still allows you to choose which way you want to design. Being an old fart I still prefer Allowable Stress Design, but often use LSD. CSA S16 is not to be used for plate structures, e.g. box girders, stacks, etc, so you fall back to ASD. Also S16 and the CISC Handbook of Steel Construction are all in metric. I have gotten quite used to metric but sometimes all those zeroes make my head hurt. I think the Canadian Code of Standard Practise spells out things a little better, just because of the on-going spat between consulting engineers and fabricators over responsibility for connection design and sealing of fabricators shop drawings. Hope this helps. Pls let me know if you have any other questions.
Gary