The New Bay Bridge (in San Francisco)

Here are two articles that investigative reporters Charles Piller (
cpiller(--nospam--at)sacbee.com) of Sacramento Bee and  Jaxon Van Derbeken (
JVanDerbeken(--nospam--at)sfchronicle.com) of the San Francisco Chronicle have published
today (April 13, 2014) on their investigation of the New San Francisco
Oakland Self Anchored Suspension Bay Bridge (a $6.5 billion project , 15
years in construction), .

I believe these reporters are doing great service to our profession since
 many lessons can be learned from these investigations on "what not to do"
which in my view is as important as guidelines and specifications on "how
to do our job correctly".  Interesting enough both articles are very strong
evidence of what happens ( really bad things) when you violate the
structural design specifications, codes and standards, especially for a
project that has so much safety ramifications in a highly seismic area.

I certainly appreciate the efforts of these dedicated reporters, hope you
do too. .

Best regards.

"Hassan"

--

 Abolhassan ASTANEH-ASL, Ph.D., P.E., Professor
2013 Minner Fellow in Engineering Ethics and Social/Professional