RE: Structural Steel Design Code - Canada

Charlie Carter & Co. were pretty sneaky about that!

Basically they provided engineers who'd spent over a decade griping about
LRFD a learning path to realize that time marches on, and it's not that big
 a deal.

Never learned LRFD in school. Never forced to use it by an employer. I just
 didn't like the idea that my knowledge would get rusty, and so I just started
 using it.

And discovered that it was no harder to use than any other design method for
 any other material. And to tell the truth, the rationale began to make sense
 to me.

Everything we do is an abstraction anyway. We can't actually design a specific
 member for a specific application because we don't know the actual material
 we have, we only know what we're ALLOWED TO ASSUME.

Ironically, it makes more sense to talk about the STRENGTH of a given section
 than the allowable stress, because we're dealing at the "macro level" anyway.
 The stress profile we assume never happens.

Okay, neither does anything else, but the rationale for the gross section
makes more sense.

YMMV.