Re: Fwd: Fw: Fwd: FW: Climbing To The Top Of The Mackinac Bridge

Hi Daryl and thanks so much for pointing to the video of the Mackinac
Bridge.  It was great.  But I did not see corrosion.  Would you please tell
me at what time during the video you see rust.  From the video it seems to
me the bridge is in mint condition.    Thanks.

Speaking of thrilling views, I had a chance to take my research students to
top of the towers of the Golden Gate Bridge , the San Francisco Oakland Bay
Bridge (after 1989 Loma Prieta quake) and the mother of all bridges, the
Akashi-Kaikyo Bridge ( the longest span in the world) after 1995 Kobe quake
and investigated their condition for seismic damage.  Of course after doing
our investigation, we stayed up there for hour or two to organize our
research notes and double check everything!  Right?  In the case of the Bay
Bridge and the Akashi Kaikyo Bridge instead of using elevators or stairs  I
asked to walk on the cable to top of the tower and the transportation
authorities agreed and we did!

The walk on the cables of the Bay Bridge was the first time and at the
bottom of cable sag we got new construction gloves and while we were
climbing, we were holding the gaurd cables with both hands. After climbing
up and coming down , I looked at my gloves and I could see my sking!  The
inside of gloves were gone because of so tightly holding the guard cables
while walking on the cable!  I still have the gloves.

Best wishes and thanks again.

Hassan

--

 Abolhassan ASTANEH-ASL, Ph.D., P.E., Professor
2013 Minner Faculty Fellow in Engineering Ethics and Social/Professional