Re: Fwd: Fw: Fwd: FW: Climbing To The Top Of The Mackinac Bridge

Fellow engineers,

The worst corrosion appeared to be at the 1:58 to 2:00 as Bill pointed out. There was also lessor amounts at 0:36 and 4:22.

The significance of these "spot corrosion" locations is that they all appeared to be in sheltered locations where I would not have expected to see any corrosion. I just pointed them out so that others could observe them and, perhaps, comment.

I have seen the appearance of worse corrosion; much worse. One of the heritage buildings we restored had two examples: there were some steel beams supporting public sidewalk that had reached the point where one blow from a carpenter's hammer actually knocked an 8" section of the bottom flange right off of the a couple of the beams; and the boiler stack, 48" in diameter, had reached the point where (even though the anchor bolts had been undone) upon lifting the stack for removal the bottom 6 feet remained on the ground. My admittedly limited experience with corrosion has been that the actual corrosion has usually progressed much further than appears on the surface.

Regards,

Daryl