Re: More Canada ???

I worked at an office than primarily did DoD work. It took me forever to
learn "soft metric." Now that I've been removed from it, I vaguely remember
the conversions. Ultimately, I did most if my design in imperial units
before finally converting to metric.

On Wednesday, April 16, 2014, Polhemus, William <wpolhemus(--nospam--at)craworld.com>
wrote:

> Sounds like a short list of reasons we invariably push back against
> converting
> to SI.
>
> Personally, I don't give a rat's furry rump either way. I just wish we'd
> fish or cut bait.
>
> In 1996, my employer at the time prepared a large set of highway plans for
> a Texas DOT project in the Rio Grande Valley. TxDOT had decided to get
> ahead
> of the curve since the Federal DOT had mandated switching to SI for future
> projects, and this was one of the first jobs under the new SI standards.
>
> As we were completing that project, Congress put everything off
> indefinitely
> for the mandatory conversion. (Interestingly, the contractor on our
> highway
> project had an entire office trailer full of junior engineers whose task
> was to go through our plans and convert everything to feet, inches, pounds,
> cubic yards, etc. so their predominately Mexican workforce could use them).

Truncated 2146 characters in the previous message to save energy.

--
David Topete, SE