Re: Positive Connection

To me that means an actual engineered mechanical connection to ensure force
transfer between two members, whether that be from bolts, screws, nails,
welds, rebar in concrete, etc. You can't just count on the forces just
"getting there".

I think the word "positive" in this instance is a bit superfluous.

Andrew Kester, PE
Florida

On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 3:30 PM, Steve Gordin <sgordin(--nospam--at)sgeconsulting.com>wrote:

> Paul,
>
> I specifically wanted my question to be generic - as the term is widely
> used
> without being defined (at least I could not find anything). For example,
> ASCE 7-10, several instances: "A positive connection for resisting a
> horizontal
> force acting parallel to the member shall be provided for each beam,
> girder,
> or truss either directly to its supporting elements, or to slabs designed
> to act as diaphragms."
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve Gordin SE
>
> On Apr 16, 2014, at 12:09 PM, "Kavsak, Paul M." <kavsakpm(--nospam--at)westinghouse.com
>

> wrote:

Truncated 604 characters in the previous message to save energy.