Re: Positive Connection

In my personal lexicon, a positive connection is a physical condition that
prevents the assembly from achieving a lower energy state. This may be, but
is not necessarily, included in the primary resistance of the connection.

For instance, if a gravity support beam is seated but not fastened to the
top of a wall, it satisfies the primary requirement to support the gravity
load. If the total assembly of the system moves, there is the possibility
for the beam to fall off the wall, despite the fact that the beam is not
part of the lateral load path. In this case, a positive connection could be
some nominal nailing/bolting, a notch in the wall or the beam. Most steel
to steel connections are inherently positive connections (multi-axis resistance
 that occurs despite the primary tension or shear forces).

I think that the "positive-ness" will tend to be redundant and difficult to
quantify without extraordinary effort. So defining a force limit is probably
 the wrong approach and will necessarily be limited to the conditions that
are conceived.

Pau Ransom, P.Eng.