Re: Fwd: Positive connection

Steve,

I was not going to reply to this line but your most recent posting (below) caused me to reconsider.

In the late 1970s there was a bridge under construction for use in Calgary's Light Rail transit (LRT) system. This bridge slipped off its foundations and landed up-side-down in the Elbow River. As I understand it, the bridge was a two-span steel box girder with a concrete top deck held latterly by pins, not anchor bolts; and thermal effects (snow on the deck combined with a low angle of the sun heating the lower part of the box girder) caused it to lift above the pins allowing it to slide off the supporting piers and into the river. Had the LRT rails been installed or had there been anchor bolts with nuts the accident probably wouldn't have happened. Sometimes it's useful to have a positive connection!

Regards to all,

Daryl Richardson