-----Original Message-----
From: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com [mailto:seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com] On
Behalf Of Steve Gordin Sent: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 8:18 AM
To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
Subject: Re: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] Positive connection

Neil and Larry,

AFAIK, out of 7 bridges collapsed during the Northridge earthquake, only one

- the I-5 to I-14 interchange - can be somehow linked to the issue discussed.

This collapse, however, is mostly attributable to the combination of the
skewed/curved geometry, short in-span expansion joint seat, and the flexibility
 of the columns (Bridge Design Handbook, Proceeding of NEHRP…).  This, and
 several other, collapses were caused not by the lack of the gravity support
 (or positive connection, for that matter), but rather by a design flaw -
insufficient width of the abutment/joint seat.   Subsequently, the code
increased the requirements for the seat widths and introduced other measures
 against such failures.

To my knowledge, despite vertical PGAs, there are no records of the net
uplift on the bridges - or, for that matter, on any structures - during the
 Northridge earthquake.  This is why I am so interested in - and would

Truncated 9328 characters in the previous message to save energy.