Distribution of Seismic loads in simple timber framed structures

1)      I am reviewing a peer's design for a 2-storied residential
development/renovation.

2)      In Canada we have an "Engineering Guide for Wood Frame Construction"
 (a design process somewhere between "prescriptive" and "engineered") which
says the seismic loads should be calculated according to the Code
(equivalent static force).

3)      The engineer has calculated, (total base shear/gross weight) to
obtain a ratio of 0.16.

4)      He has then applied this ratio to the weight at each floor to get
what I'd call, a uniform distribution up the building.

5)      That is not consistent with the standard distribution for the code
equations.

6)      He insists that he has read (somewhere?) that the ratio (0.16) can
be thus simply applied.

7)      Does anyone know or have an opinion on this simplification . I've
not heard of it before and can find no reference allowing such a
simplification?

Thor A. Tandy P.Eng, C.Eng, Struct.Eng, MIStructE, FEC
Victoria, BC

Canada
Email:  <mailto:vicpeng(--nospam--at)telus.net> vicpeng(--nospam--at)telus.net

hst_ngc4414_9925Please consider the environment before printing out this
e-mail

8)