Re: Distribution of Seismic loads in simple timber framed structures

The IBC/ASCE 7 has a simplified vertical distribution of forces as the
engineer has done. Typically, we use wxhx/SUM(wihi) for the vertical
distribution of forces.

On Monday, April 28, 2014, Gary L. Hodgson and Assoc. <design(--nospam--at)hodgsoneng.ca>
 wrote:

> Thor,
> I am with you on this.  My calcs always have a higher force at the higher
> level.  I also use Tedds to check my calcs and it always gives a higher
> force at the upper levels.  Just did two 2 storey bldgs in the past year.
> You should hear the framers yelp when they see all the nailing and plywood
> required.  The usual statement is "I have never seen anything like this
> in 30 years".  Another friend had the same experience.
> Gary
> On 4/27/2014 2:01 PM, Thor Tandy wrote:
>
>> 1)      I am reviewing a peer's design for a 2-storied residential
>> development/renovation.
>>
>> 2)      In Canada we have an "Engineering Guide for Wood Frame
>> Construction" (a design process somewhere between "prescriptive" and
>> "engineered") which says the seismic loads should be calculated according
>> to the Code
>> (equivalent static force).
>>
>> 3)      The engineer has calculated, (total base shear/gross weight) to

Truncated 448 characters in the previous message to save energy.

--
David Topete, SE