-----Original Message-----
From: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com [mailto:seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com] On
Behalf Of Lloyd Sent: April-30-14 11:46 AM
To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
Subject: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] Beam to Girder Connection Problem

Hello List,

I've got a project that I've got to replace some rotting roof beams with new
 steel beams.  The existing beams are wood beams 10.5" x 10.5".  The client
 wants to add a beam hoist to the underside of the new steel roof beams.
The new load makes the new steel beams deeper than the 10.5" that the old
beams had.

The problem is that the wood beams sat on top of a steel girder.  Now I've
got to come up with a connection that can transfer the load from the new
steel beams to the girder.

I'm looking at a W14x68 for the new beams.

I was thinking that I might use a single-plate shear connector attached to
the top of the girder and bolt the W14's web to the shear connector, and
cope the bottom of the beam to fit around the top flange of the girder.

What, if any, problems to you see with this connection/situation.
I've not coped the bottoms of a beam in a beam/girder connection before,

Truncated 453 characters in the previous message to save energy.