 From: Lloyd <lloyd(--nospam--at)advantage-engineers.com>
To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
Sent: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 11:45 AM
Subject: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] Beam to Girder Connection Problem

Hello List,

I've got a project that I've got to replace some rotting
roof beams with new steel beams.  The existing beams
are wood beams 10.5" x 10.5".  The client wants to
add a beam hoist to the underside of the new steel roof
beams.  The new load makes the new steel beams deeper
than the 10.5" that the old beams had.

The problem is that the wood beams sat on top of a steel
girder.  Now I've got to come up with a connection that can
transfer the load from the new steel beams to the girder.

I'm looking at a W14x68 for the new beams.

I was thinking that I might use a single-plate shear connector
attached to the top of the girder and bolt the W14's web to
the shear connector, and cope the bottom of the beam to fit
around the top flange of the girder.

Truncated 589 characters in the previous message to save energy.