Re: Basements in the Wilds of Alberta?

Bill,
I don't know what you mean by a substructure but I am working on a 2 storey building here where there is bedrock 2 to 2.5 ft under grade. Originally, we were to have a basement but when we found bedrock so high we deleted the basement and put in footings on the rock specifying that the surface had to have any loose or weathered rock removed to 6" min below the existing rock surface and cracks were to be grouted. We dowelled into the rock to tie our footing in and counteract any possible uplift. The soils bodies recommended a bearing pressure of 500mPa on the rock which gave me one of my headaches again. Turns out to be 104ksf so I used 10 ksf in order to get a sensible size footing. Our depth of footing is approx 2.5 ft and we filled the interior with crushed stone (Gran A which is a well graded crushed stone). I hope this helps a little. If your structure needs to go deep you may have no choice but to blast or hoe-ram the dickens out of it