RE: Shear Wall ACI 318

I have a question on concrete shearwalls. ACI 318 chapter 14 cl 14.3.7 says
 that you must provide 2No. 5 bars around all window and door openings in
addition to the minimum reinforcement.  I find this an overkill for shearwalls
 less that 6" thick with a single layer of reinforcement. Such walls are
commonly used in dormitory , apartment and hotel room construction that there
 is great difficulty getting cover at these locations. I can see the requirement
 for a wall with two layers but not with one , has anyone looked at this
issue before?

MARK FRANCOIS
Director BBFL Caribbean Limited
mark(--nospam--at)bbflcaribbean.com

Head Office: 213 Belmont Circular Road, Belmont, Port-of-Spain, Trinidad &
Tobago T + (868) 623 0789 ext. 248 F + (868) 624 9938
E info(--nospam--at)bbflcaribbean.com
W www.bbflcaribbean.com

this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to
be secured or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted,
lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender
contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.

�
. Print
only if necessary, on recycled paper, using the two sided print option.