Re: Repair of Water Damaged LVL Beams

Kip,

In working with heritage buildings I have had to deal with this problem with built-up plank beams several times. David Topete's advice is sound. My preference would be to use channel rather than plate if possible.

        There are other possibilities worth considering.  These include:

1.) Sister another LVL on one or both sides

2.) LVL's are very strong in shear, hence, one of them may be sufficient to resist all of the shear at all locations. If so, just replace that portion of the bad lamination where necessary. Alternative: scab a side plate using LVL material long enough to develop the section in bending.

After you've had a look you may have some other ideas or questions.

Regards,

Daryl