Square bar reinf. steel

To All,

I am working on the placement of some heavy HVAC units on top of an existing
 concrete roof of a building built in the '30's, (actuall have the plans!).
 The concrete joists spaced at 24" o.c. call for a 5/8" square reinf. bar
and 3/4" sq. reinf. bar at the bottom. I am assuming this is the actual size,
 so that the 3/4" sq. area is 0.56 sq. in., not the 0.44 sq. in. of a #6
bar. Also, since no specs came with the drawings, I am assuming 40 grade
steel and 2,000 psi concrete.

Are my assumptions correct, and is there anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance,

Larry Hauer, S.E.