RE: Allen, TX HS stadium

That's a good point.

I'm thinking of a project I was involved with in Austin, which was actually
 a public-private partnership thing, but because of the political climate
there was heavy on the HUB requirements.

Of course "Historically Underutilized" (The "HU" part of "HUB") has, in the
 past at least, been a wry joke here. If you were born anywhere other than
the USA, Canada or Europe, your business could get HUB status regardless of
 your actual circumstances.

For instance, I knew a fellow from a South American country, literally born
 with a silver spoon in his mouth (he had a speech impediment as a result),
 very wealthy family, attended prestigious schools there and here, and who
owned a HUB entity qualifying him for the inside track on lucrative public
contracts.

Now, perhaps that has since been rectified; I have not been in the public
side of things for some years now. But not so long ago it was the case.

And circling back to that Austin project, the SEoR made a series of costly
mistakes that were simply the result of negligence (in my opinion; the
principals of the firm were well-connected enough that it never resulted in
 any sort of legal action). They had plenty of highly respected engineers
as owners of the firm, but they didn't actually get involved in the "penny
ante" stuff like the project I was had experience with. Rather, they just
let some newly-graduated M.S. types have full control of it, and they made
the type of mess that you might expect with "engineers" whose only prior
experience has been graduate research.

There were lots of other examples of this years ago, when I was involved
with public works, stemming from abuse of the HUB designation.

As I say, perhaps things are different now.