Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: Adding Stainless Steel Base Plates

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
Typically electrode type for stainless is (or used to be "310"). There is 
(or used to be) a type "309" for welding stainless to carbon steel.

All that aside, you really need to know what the beer tanks are. Most probably 
 they are something like a "duplex" steel grade such as ASTM A240 Grade UNS 
 S32101, and the chemistry is not complicated, but I wouldn't venture to 
spec a filler metal until I knew what I had, and I'd check with a steel 
supplier like in Finland, e.g., to get them to 
recommend filler.

If you just say "Stainless Steel Rod," they'll PROBABLY get it right, but 
it's not worth the risk.

-----Original Message-----
From: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at) [mailto:seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)] On 
Behalf Of lrhauer(--nospam--at) Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2014 8:40 AM
To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)
Subject: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] Adding Stainless Steel Base Plates

To All,

I am designing the anchorage of some beer tanks to a concrete slab and the 
tanks are all stainless steel with base plates that are too small- so must 
weld on a larger plate. I know nothing about the grade of stainless steel 
for the existing plates, so can someone give me a generic stainless steel 
ASTM and what it's Fy would be? Also, the electrodes for welding stainless 

Thanks in advance.

Larry Hauer, S.E.

Post your message to the list by sending it to: 

The email messages sent to the list will be saved in an archive on the World Wide Web.
These archives are located at:

To contact the list owner, send your message to:

Sponsored By: Pacific Structural & Forensic Engineers Group, Inc. (PSFEG)

To unsubscribe, switch to/from digest, get on/off vacation, or change your email address, click here.