Re: Crane Runway Bracing Vibration

Or another suggestion would be to use "Double angle - connected along the
length with intermittent filler plates (can give a gap between the two
angles of 1/2" to increase moment of inertia of the section ) - double up
the angle on 4" side so it should be a a "Tee" shape with (6"+1/2"+6" =
12.5") horizontal leg - intermittent plates can be 1/2" x 5"x5" welded at
every 1/4 span (1/4 span so that one filler comes right at the middle)- try
with this - otherwise reduce the spacing.

On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 6:14 PM, Himanshu Goyal <anshuagoel(--nospam--at)gmail.com> wrote:

> Isn't it the buckling mode vibration of the angle bracing, if I understood
> correctly ?
>

> In my view, when crane starts and stops - it transmit a horizontal
> acceleration or deceleration - longitudinal forces - which come as  axial
> forces in the bracing.
>
> I think horizontal strut alone would solve the problem. or you can add
> vertical brace in another brace - also, you can try to soften the
> acceleration at starting and stopping by restricting maximum speed ?
> It would seem a serious problem to me, if not worked upon quickly -
> because if there is some residual deformation in angle and it again tries
> to buckle - it can really buckle.
>

> On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 6:46 AM, Gary L. Hodgson and Assoc. <
> design(--nospam--at)hodgsoneng.ca> wrote:

Truncated 1164 characters in the previous message to save energy.