Re: Bay Bridge's troubled China connection

We had a contractor here work on a certain very large bridge project.
Contractor was 15 months late finishing, continually missing deadlines and
paying the schedule penalty.

Then they turned around and made a claims at the end of the job for change
orders of a dubious nature totaling half again as much as the penalties.

TxDOT paid them.

William L. Polhemus, Jr. P.E.

5

> On Jun 9, 2014, at 11:25 AM, Andrew Kester <akester74(--nospam--at)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Did anyone else's head explode about two paragraphs into this article?
>
> So Cal Tran paid the underachieving company that was not producing
> acceptable welds extra money to hurry up and do a crappy job, faster? To
> the point where any money they additionally may have saved got wasted on
> what appears to be a much inferior and questionable product?
>
> Also, looks like Caltrans needs a whistle-blower reward program that would
> encourage these engineers to sound the alarms when this kind of malfeasance
> is occurring and is wasting taxpayer money and safety.
>
> *As the project wound down, ZPMC reaped tangible rewards, sharing with ABF
> more than $250 million in cost overruns and incentive payments.*
>
> *Counting the money spent on travel and living costs for Caltrans and its
> contractors, the suspension span consumed much more than the $250 million
> in ZPMC’s assumed efficiencies that made the Chinese steel so
> cost-effective.*

Truncated 1874 characters in the previous message to save energy.