Re: Bay Bridge's troubled China connection

"It is often made a subject of reproach by European writers and speakers,
in commenting on the state of things in America, that the government is so
weak; but this we consider not our reproach, but our glory. The government
is indeed weak. The people take good care to keep it weak. But the nation
is not weak; the nation is strong. The difference is, that in our country
the nation chooses to retain its [181] power in its own hands. The people
make the government strong enough from time to time for all the purposes
which they wish it to accomplish. When occasion shall arise, the strength
thus to be imparted to it may be increased almost indefinitely, according
to the nature of the emergency. In the mean time, the people consider
themselves the safest depositary of their reserved power."

>From Peter the Great by Jacob Abbott ,1859 (look him up for other great books
 on history).

______________________________
V. Steve Gordin PhD
Licensed Structural Engineer
SGE Consulting Structural Engineers
2081 Business Center Drive #105
Irvine CA 92612
949-552-5244
sgordin(--nospam--at)sgeconsulting.com

On Jun 9, 2014, at 9:52 AM, Bill Polhemus <bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc> wrote:

> We had a contractor here work on a certain very large bridge project.
> Contractor was 15 months late finishing, continually missing deadlines and
> paying the schedule penalty.
>
> Then they turned around and made a claims at the end of the job for change
> orders of a dubious nature totaling half again as much as the penalties.
>
> TxDOT paid them.
>
> William L. Polhemus, Jr. P.E.
>
> 5
>
>> On Jun 9, 2014, at 11:25 AM, Andrew Kester <akester74(--nospam--at)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Did anyone else's head explode about two paragraphs into this article?
>>
>> So Cal Tran paid the underachieving company that was not producing
>> acceptable welds extra money to hurry up and do a crappy job, faster? To
>> the point where any money they additionally may have saved got wasted on

Truncated 754 characters in the previous message to save energy.