RE: Bay Bridge's troubled China connection

I'm sure the list would be quite long. I was thinking about recent consumer
 product fiascos.

ANOTHER: When I was out of work and desperately searching, I interviewed
with a "widget" manufacturer. A lot of their "sub-widgets" were manufactured
 to their specification in a plant in China. They had constant QC issues,
and had to hire a full-time quality inspector to live over there for nine
months of the year, just to ride herd on it.

The guy who was showing me through the plant commented that they found the
cost of keeping the inspector over there with frequent trips back to the
states for R&R, had really blown any cost savings they had anticipated out
of the water, but the start-up costs for bringing the operation back here
kept them doing what they were doing.

Anecdotal, I know. But still.

(N.B. The three months the inspector wasn't there corresponded with the
plant's "stand down" routine. Apparently they're used to having a LOT of
vacation time over there, harkening back to their hard-core command-economy
 days).