Re: Bay Bridge's troubled China connection

This message was also sent by astaneh(--nospam--at)berkeley.edu to: cpiller(--nospam--at)sacbee.com

Dear Dr. Gordin:

Thank you  for your kind comments.  I haven't done much, just sending you
the URL on the excellent work being done by Investigative Reporter Charles
Piller of Sacramento Bee.  He is extra ordinary.  I had several occasions
to be interviewed by him and meet with him to  discuss many complex
engineering aspects of this project and was always amazed how knowledgeable
he is on bridge engineering and how sharp he is in grasping the structural
engineering issues.  Can  you imagine going through 100,000 pages of
documents to establish the facts for his investigative report?  I have
already told him that he is the Bob Woodward
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Woodward> and Carl Bernstein
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Bernstein> of our generation and hope
that his work will save lives of people who use the new Bay Bridge.

By the way,  after conducting extensive seismic and fatigue studies of the
Self-anchored Suspension Bay Bridge  ( spending more than 8,500 hours of my
time and my research associates volunteer time) I do not cross that bridge
until a truly independent and knowledgeable team investigates safety of
that bridge and comes up with necessary retrofit and repair work and such
retrofit and repairs are done.

Best wishes.

Hassan

On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 8:22 AM, Steve Gordin <sgordin(--nospam--at)sgeconsulting.com>
wrote:

> Dear Dr. Astaneh-Asl,
>
> Thank you for being on top of this issue.
>
> Assuming the article is accurate, this is really bad.
> This is politics at its worst - the ends justify the means.  How can this
> be allowed to go on for years - on broad daylight? How can lawyers and
> politicians control - and disregard - the safety of the public so
> blatantly?
> Even without any professional considerations, don't these guys have any
> conscience or shame? Will anybody be held responsible - ever?
>
> Thanks again,

> V. Steve Gordin PhD
> Licensed Structural Engineer
> SGE Consulting Structural Engineers
> 2081 Business Center Drive #105
> Irvine CA 92612

Truncated 799 characters in the previous message to save energy.

--

 Abolhassan ASTANEH-ASL, Ph.D., P.E., Professor
2013 Minner Faculty Fellow in Engineering Ethics and Social/Professional