Re: Bay Bridge's troubled China connection

"Back in the 50's & 60's it was made in Japan but that has changed."

Joe:

Except Japan could build good bridges back then.

If ever in Thailand, take the train ride out to the  Bridge over the River
Kwai from Kanchanaburi. Also a really cool waterfall in that area. Lot of
mostly British and Aussie POWs and also some Americans and Dutch died
building the Burma railway ("Railroad of Death") and bridge. So many
laborers died they estimate that it is one per railroad tie.

Then the bridge got bombed by the Allies and 3 sections were destroyed. The
Japanese repaired the bridge as part of reparations, and the steel trusses
have a plaque on them with a Japanese foundry from around 1950.  And unlike
anything you could do in the US, you can walk across this working railroad
bridge and check the whole thing out. The train goes by you very slow so
you have plenty of time to get out of the way.

I just read online the movie "The Bridge on the River Kwai" was filmed in
Sri Lanka. I hate it when Hollywood does that, like filming Apocalypse Now
in the Phillipines. Guess it is just easier/cheaper sometimes.

I digress....

Andrew Kester, PE
Florida

On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 5:51 PM, Joe Venuti <jovenengr(--nospam--at)verizon.net> wrote:

> Back in the 50's & 60's it was made in Japan but that has changed.

Truncated 371 characters in the previous message to save energy.