Re: Definition of "Service" Loads

Funny you should mention that.

I've recently come to the conclusion that structural engineers would do well
 to have a practical understanding of extreme value analysis.

More than once I've been involved in situations where I needed to compute
the load effects from simultaneous events involving a reasonable return
period. The magnitude of the events individually would be available, but
deducing their values at simultaneous occurrence would require additional
calculation on my part.

An example would be hurricane winds with wind-driven waves acting simultaneously
 on a shallow water structure such as a wharf or pier.

I've begun teaching myself EVA in my spare time, and plan to use something
like the R statistical analysis programming language to determine the combined
 effects.

William L. Polhemus, Jr. P.E.

5

> On Jun 12, 2014, at 5:44 PM, "Mark Johnson" <seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com>
> wrote:
> This message was sent by Mark Johnson markajohn(--nospam--at)yahoo.com
>
> The way the ASCE 7 and
> other documents deal with loads is probably best understood if you're a
> statistician and know how to think about mean times between occurrence,
> etc.  It is arguable that there is now
> such thing as a service load for wind or seismic and probably some other
> things like some hydrostatic or fluid loads.  Especially
> for wind loads after seeing what the ASCE did with wind loads in this last
> code cycle.
>
> Mark

Truncated 885 characters in the previous message to save energy.